4 Week Course - Viva España! - An in-depth tour of Spanish Wine
In the wake of the success of our Vive la France! course earlier this year, we’ve decided that it’s time to take a more in-depth look at another of the giants of the wine world – Spain.
All tastings are 7-9pm at the Royal Exchange Theatre
- Friday 18th October - "Green Spain - Albarino and much much more" - In our first session, we’ll be majoring on Galicia. Known as Green Spain for a very good reason; the Atlantic Ocean is never too far away and brings a bracing freshness to the wines. The result is excellent whites such as the Albariños of Rias Baixas and the Godello-based Valdeorras, but the reds can be remarkably good too. We’ll also slip in a couple of high class fortified wines from much further south to complete the line-up.
- Friday 25th October -" Catalonia - Home of Sturdy Red and Splendid Sparklers" - For session two, we’re beginning in Catalonia where we’ll kick off with some Cava before looking at Priorat and its powerful reds, with perhaps a rare example of the region’s white wines alongside. Then we’ll head down the Mediterranean coast and see how good the Monastrell grape (aka Mourvèdre) can be in Jumilla. And if you’re lucky, we may even try something from the Canary Islands – there’s more to Tenerife than sun, sea and sangria!
- Friday 1st November - "Time for a Little R&R - Ribera Del Duero and Rueda" - Session three sees the Castilla y Leon region take centre stage. Ribera del Duero produces some of Spain’s finest red wines, and while we won’t be tasting Pingus at £600+ bottle, we will sample a couple of examples from this excellent region, as well as another red from nearby Toro. We’ll also look at some of the impressive white wines being made in Rueda, where the Verdejo grape holds sway. And we’ll kick off with some dry sherry, the unsung hero of the wine world
- Friday 8th November - "Think you know Rioja? Think again..." We’ll start the fourth and final session with a Cava Rosado but from then onwards, the focus will be on Spain’s most famous wine region, Rioja. Expect white, pink and red versions, expect bottles young and old, but above all expect some seriously good wines.
Perfect for any wine lover!
Booking all four weeks together and save! The normal cost of these tastings is £35, but book the whole course and pay just £30 per session.
* Please note, if you are booking a place on the course with an open Manchester Wine school 4 week Gift Voucher, a small supplement applies.
This course takes place in the atmospheric Royal Exchange Theatre.We are delighted to offer those booking a 20% off drinks voucher which can be redeemed at The Rivals bar/restaurant as well as a great deal on a evening menu which you can enjoy before or after the tastings.
Places remaining: 8
Course Date/Time: Fri 18th Oct 2019 at 7-9pm
Duration: 2 Hours
Venue: The Royal Exchange Theatre