Battle of the Grapes Saturday - The Red and White Wine Grape Off!
Join us in Manchester City Centre, for a fascinating insight in to the differences between Old World and New World wines. Taking place at the historic and beautiful surroundings of the Royal Exchange Theatre, its sure to be a day to remember.
"Battle of the Grapes Saturday" will focus on the differences between some classic" Old World Wines" from France, Italy and Germany and compare them to their "New World" counterparts. We will taste wines from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Chile, and USA-California, and compare them to wines from Burgundy, Bordeaux, Rhone Valley, Mosel, Tuscany and Puglia
Taste the world’s major Grape Varieties – Shiraz, Primitivo, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling and Pinot Grigio
It is only when you taste these wines together that the differences really stand out, and the comparisons can bring some interesting insights into wine styles. Do you think you can tell the difference between Syrah from Rhone Valley and Shiraz from the Barossa Valley? – by the end of the day you will be able to and it may even challenge the way you think about wine forever!
We will also taste some of the wines "blind", so you will have a chance to see if you can taste the differences without know which wine you are trying.
So come and enjoy a friendly, informal and fun wine tasting journey incorporating at least 12 wines from around the world. No previous experience necessary!
Glass of Fizz on arrival and a delicious 2-course lunch are included in the price, making this a great value experience.
Lunch will be served in the highly regarded "The Rivals" restaurant. The Rivals opened in September 2017 and has received outstanding reviews in the local and national press. Serving quality modern British cuisine, from Head Chef Anna Fysh, we are delighted to included a 2 course lunch here as part of your Saturday Wine tasting experience with us.
Our Saturday Wine Course also makes a great Gift idea for any occasion too.
See what others are saying about our Saturday courses over on our TripAdvisor page.
11.00am – 1.00pm: Fizz to start & morning session (6 wines)
1.00pm – 2.00pm: 2-Course Lunch at "The Rivals"
2.00pm – 4.00pm: Afternoon session & food matching (6 wines)
- New World Wines (Australia, New Zealand, Chile, South Africa, California) vs Old World Classics (France, Italy, & Germany)
- Major Red Grape Varieties – Shiraz, Pinot Noir, others.
- Major White Grape Varieties – Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, & others!
- How wine is made - grapes, fermentation, ageing
- Improve your senses! - Nez du Vin
- How to taste wines – aroma, taste, describing wines
- Recognising elements of wine - tannin, acidity, oak
- Tutored Tasting of 13 Wines (6 White, 6 Red and a Sparkling Wine)
- The effect of climate on the taste of wine
- Which wines to buy / where to obtain the best value for money / storing & serving wine / understanding wine labels
- Food & Wine Matching – tips & advice
Places remaining: 5
Course Date/Time: Sat 15th Sep 2018 at 11am - 4pm
Duration: 5 Hours
Venue: The Royal Exchange Theatre with lunch at "The Rivals"