Battle of the Grapes Saturday - The Red and White Wine Grape off! at the Lowry Hotel
We have condensed our 3 month course in to one day, join us at the Lowry Hotel in Manchester City Centre, for a fascinating insight in to the differences between Old World and New World wines.
"Battle of the Grapes Saturday" will focus on the differences between some classic" Old World Wines" from France, Italy and Germany and compare them to their "New World" counterparts. We will taste wines from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and Chile, USA-California, and compare them to wines from Burgundy, Bordeaux, Rhone Valley, Mosel, Tuscany and Puglia
Taste the world’s major Grape Varieties – Shiraz, Primitivo, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling and Pinot Grigio
It is only when you taste these wines together that the differences really stand out, and the comparisons can bring some interesting insights into wine styles. Do you think you can tell the difference between Syrah from Rhone Valley and Shiraz from the Barossa Valley? – by the end of the day you will be able to and it may even challenge the way you think about wine forever!
We will even taste some of the wines "blind", so you will have a chance to see if you can taste the differences without know which wine you are trying.
So come and enjoy a friendly, informal and fun wine tasting journey incorporating at least 12 wines from around the world. No previous experience necessary!
Glass of Fizz on arrival and a delicious 2-course lunch are included in the price, making this a great value experience.
The Lowry Hotel was the first five-star hotel in Manchester, and one of only 20 hotels in the UK to be part of Leading Hotels of The World, so you can be assured of our high level of standards and quality.
Our event takes place in the beautiful, newly refurbished private dining room of the Riverside Restaurant. With its glass-walled, riverside setting overlooking Santiago Calatrava’s Trinity Bridge this really is a decadent experience and a wonderful day out.
Our Saturday Wine Course also makes a great Gift idea for any occasion too.
See what others are saying about our Saturday courses over on our TripAdvisor page.
11.00am – 1.00pm: Fizz to start & morning session (6 wines)
1.00pm – 2.00pm: 2-Course Lunch
2.00pm – 4.00pm: Afternoon session & food matching (6 wines)
- New World Wines (Australia, New Zealand, Chile, South Africa, California) vs Old World Classics (France, Italy, & Germany)
- Major Red Grape Varieties – Shiraz, Pinot Noir, others.
- Major White Grape Varieties – Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, & others!
- How wine is made - grapes, fermentation, ageing
- Improve your senses! - Nez du Vin
- How to taste wines – aroma, taste, describing wines
- Recognising elements of wine - tannin, acidity, oak
- Tutored Tasting of 13 Wines (6 White, 6 Red and a Sparkling Wine)
- The effect of climate on the taste of wine
- Which wines to buy / where to obtain the best value for money / storing & serving wine / understanding wine labels
- Food & Wine Matching – tips & advice
Places remaining: 1
Course Date/Time: Sat 21st Oct 2017 at 11am
Duration: 5 Hours
Venue: Lowry Hotel, Manchester City Centre