Saturday Introduction to Wine at the Lowry Hotel, Manchester
Have you always wanted to know more about Wine? Why note join us for a fascinating and informative Introduction to Wine in a day course at the luxurious 5 star Lowry Hotel in Manchester City Centre.
- Like wine but not sure why?
- Want to discover new wines & grape varieties?
- Confused about which wine to drink with what food?
If you are interested in wine and would like to learn why certain varieties have different tastes and how they flavour of wine changes depending on where in the world it comes from then this is the course for you.
Come and enjoy a friendly, informal and fun wine tasting journey incorporating at least 12 wines from around the world. No previous experience necessary!
Glass of Fizz on arrival and a delicious 2-course lunch are included in the price.
See what others are saying about our Saturday Courses over on our TripAdvisor page
The Lowry Hotel was the first five-star hotel in Manchester, and one of only 20 hotels in the UK to be part of Leading Hotels of The World, so you can be assured of our high level of standards and quality.
Our event takes place in the beautiful, newly refurbished private dining room of the Riverside Restaurant. With its glass-walled, riverside setting overlooking Santiago Calatrava’s Trinity Bridge this really is a decadent experience and a wonderful day out.
Our Saturday Wine Course also makes a great Gift idea for any occasion. If you want to book a place as a gift just make a reservation below, click on the email link on your confirmation to request a voucher, and we will arrange.
- 11.00am – 1.00pm: Fizz to start & morning session (6 wines)
- 1.00pm – 2.00pm: 2- Course Lunch
- 2.00pm – 4.00pm: Afternoon session & food matching (6 wines)
- Introduction to the World’s major wine regions
- New World Wines (Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, South Africa, California) vs Old World Classics (France, Italy, & Spain)
- Major Red Grape Varieties – Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Sangiovese, Tempranillo & others.
- Major White Grape Varieties – Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, & others!
- How wine is made - grapes, fermentation, ageing
- Improve your senses! - Nez du Vin
- How to taste wines – aroma, taste, describing wines
- Recognising elements of wine - tannin, acidity, oak
- Tutored Tasting of 13 Wines ( 6 white, 6 red and a Sparkling Wine)
- The effect of climate on the taste of wine
- Which wines to buy / where to obtain the best value for money / storing & serving wine / understanding wine labels
- Food & Wine Matching – tips & advice
Places remaining: 0
Course Date/Time: Sat 24th Feb 2018 at 11am - 4pm
Duration: 5 hours
Venue: Lowry Hotel and Spa, Manchester City Centre